4.18.2010

Ode to Ted on his 40th Birthday

We had a party for mr. ted yesterday, and in honor of 40, wrote and read poems to him. Here are a few to enjoy. Anne's was a total tear jerker. Sally read it and almost didn't make it through to the end. Happy Birthday, Teddy!

There once was a boy named Ted
with tangled blond curls on his head
some say of this child
that his hair was so wild
he should just wear a swim cap instead.
~Erika, Percy and Opal


Love as a Time Warp (My Ode to Ted)
Always dancing before my eyes,
a tow-headed tse-tse fly
tagging along
chittering and chattering
poking me in the ribs
noinxing and coinxing and scroixing -
more action packed
than a vaudeville show
with a
self-igniting poodle.
A wriggling
infuriating
stick puppet,
all elbows and knees
and
insistent
really
insistent
but ineffably lovable
totally irreplaceable
my little woodpecker,
my little brother.

~Anne

A quasi-haiku on my brother, turning 40
A face like my own
Looking back at mine in the rain,
Snickering.
~Timmy

For Ted:
Proud of you, love you, for you
I would make
vanilla sauced cake anytime.
~Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment