11.11.2010

Autumn Textures












Last weekend, i tried to capitalize on the time it wasn't raining to dig in the garden. Our forest of sunflowers proved to be a giant urban wildlife buffet. I've been waiting for the squirrels to finish their last morsels before i rip out all the old stalks, but it's hard to control myself once i get started. My husband loves this time of year, all the decay and rusty browns slowly making their way back into the earth. It makes lovely photos as you can see. I love this time of year too, for lots of reasons, many of which are nostalgic. I love the crispness, the cold mornings and hot afternoons (well, those are mostly gone by now), and i love that we here in Portland are still enjoying the color and the falling of leaves. It kinda bothers me that people rush to rake them up and restore pin-like neatness to their lawns....some rather aggressively, making the ground look like its petticoat of leaves has been ripped off and all that is left is its earthen bareness. Maybe leaves are more fun to rake when they are still pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment